1 head cauliflower
5 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1 garlic clove, chopped finely
Salt to taste
Water (about 1 cup)
1 small onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup capsicum, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
3 green chillies, slit
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp green chilli sauce (optional)
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp cornflour mixed with 4 tbsp water
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Prepare the batter. Add the water bit by bit to get the right consistency (not too runny).
- Coat the florets with the batter and deep fry until golden brown.
- Drain the fried cauliflower well.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and fry the onions, capsicum, green chillies and garlic until the onions turn golden brown.
- Lower the flame and add the ketchup and the green chilli sauce to the onions and mix well. Let it fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the soy sauce and vinegar, mix well and fry for another 10 seconds.
- Add the cornflour-water mixture and mix until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt to taste (may not be needed because you’ve added soy sauce)
- Turn off heat and mix the fried cauliflower in to this sauce.
Serve with a toothpick or fork as a snack. For a curry, you may add more water to the cornflour-water mixture. It makes a good accompaniment for fried rice.