1 turnip, cubed
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 tomatoes, finely chopped or pureed
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp coconut
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
6 dry red chillies
1/2 tsp corriander seeds
Whole garam masala – (1 cinnamon, 3-4 cloves, 1 bay leaf, 2-3 cardomom)
Cilnatro – for garnishing
1. Fry the cubed turnip with 1 tbsp of oil until it browns and then keep aside.
2. Dry roast the coconut, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, coriander seeds and grind them.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, spatter some mustard seeds, whole garam masala and curry leaves.
4. Saute the onions till they are browned.
5. Next add the ginger garlic paste followed by the tomatoes. Cover and cook till the tomatoes are nice and soft.
6. Next add the ground masala along with some turmeric and salt. Add the browned rutabaga/turnip with little water as needed.
7. Cover and cook for 7- 10 minutes until a good masala is ready.
8. Garnish with cilantro.